Are you interested in journalism, human behavior and book writing? Do your friends think you are pretty uptight about details? Are you known as someone who really has their s**t together? Bestselling author and Atlantic journalist Amanda Ripley is looking for a research assistant to help with her latest book—about how people find their way out of intractable conflict.
The job will include a mix of fact-checking, copy editing, research and marketing tasks. Some tasks will be really interesting. Others will be tedious. All will be necessary and important.
· Part-time (about 20 hours per week)
· Starting in May (exact date flexible). Running until Sept. 1. Could continue into the fall if interested.
· Any location is fine! We will be working virtually, via Zoom, phone and email.
Responsibilities (in order of priorities, from biggest to smallest):
· Factcheck manuscript (verify names, facts & figures using source material)
· Read drafts & provide feedback to author
· Help create & format endnotes & bibliography
· Research & summarize specific areas of interest for book & related magazine projects
· Assist in the planning, creation & execution of publicity & marketing for book, including social media content & email newsletters
Ideal candidates will possess:
- Unusually strong organizational and time-management skills, along with a proven ability to get things done
- Established writing, research, and analytical skills
- Graphic design and social media marketing skills are a plus
- Interest in book subject also a plus
Email a resume, cover letter, and writing sample (no longer than six pages) to [email protected].