Progressive Millennial Incumbent Virginia State Delegate creating significant positive change for everyday people, seeks a communications director Internship. The director will handle all communications strategy, and media operation for an unusually busy office, who’s member often has opportunities to appear on TV, radio, and print mediums. This role requires an empathetic storyteller who uses video, photography, and written content to connect with constituents, voters, and larger audiences. A successful candidate is a person who thinks outside the box and possesses the savvy needed to anticipate/drive big news stories to promote our goals proactively. Candidates must be able to handle multiple tasks and issues effectively while meeting tight deadlines.
Full List of Responsibilities Include:
• Execute strategic communications plan.
• Maintain accountability to Chief of Staff and the Delegate, with check-ins determined by the calendar of tasks and deliverables.
• Write newsletters, direct mail, advertisements, social media posts, op-eds, and other copy as needed.
• Monitor press coverage of Del. Samirah, Virginia affairs, local affairs, district issues, political environment, and local, state, and national news cycles to identify earned media opportunities.
• Build strategic relationships with local, state, and national reporters and editors with an eye to long-term opportunities for NoVA-wide, state-wide, and national-level coverage relating to the focus of the office.
• Support campaign fundraising through paid advertising and other forms of donor acquisition, recognition, and retention.
• Establish regular, proactive coordination with Communication teams of Progressive issue-based campaigns and Progressive organizations throughout Virginia and nationwide, focusing on that which relates to Northern Virginia, to share intelligence and best practices.
• Write, edit, and proofread office communications (press releases, newsletters, emails, social media posts, etc.), ensuring they are free of errors and reflect unified messaging.
• Create systems for short-form videos that promote office brand and messaging.
• Manage online properties, including content development, updates, and creation of targeted landing pages.
• Oversee vendor production of longer-form videos as needed, including conceptualization, scripting, and editing.
Applicants for Creative Communications Director should share the Delegate’s progressive values, be highly organized, possess a strong work ethic, and have the ability to work flexible hours, including some nights and weekends. They are looking for someone who shares their team’s burning passion for helping everyday people as much as politically possible. Excellent research, writing, and social media skills are essential. Candidates must have the ability to quickly generate creative and original content and have some experience with graphic design software and video editing. Being on the leading edge of communications development, both on-andoffline, will prove vital to success in this role.
How to Apply: qualified candidates should send their resume to [email protected].